My Wellness Journey
A Life in Need of Balance
Like many Americans, I was working long hours in a very demanding job. Unfortunately, I was also…
- failing to recognize and manage my stress
- eating lots of junk food
- sleeping about five fitful hours a night
- struggling to make time to recuperate and to nurture my relationships
- working without a clear connection to my values and my purpose
- nature starved
In an effort to keep up with the demands of my career, I was unwittingly jeopardizing my well-being, health, and relationships! And, the wear and tear was becoming apparent:
- I was anxious, irritable, and exhausted all the time.
- I gained 25 pounds.
- My blood sugar levels were rising.
- I was at odds with my husband.
- I was unhappy at work.
Little did I know, I was suffering from burnout. Moreover, I had no idea what to do about it!
Fortunately, I enrolled in the Wellness & Lifestyle Series offered through the Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona. Throughout the courses, I was introduced to the seven core areas of health. I was so impressed by the scientific research supporting an integrative approach that I made the following lifestyle changes over the next three months.
My Lifestyle Changes
- Resilience: I assumed responsibility for my stress management. I added a brief meditation practice three times a week to harness my attention and strengthen my ability to relax. I also added a brief gratitude practice three times a week to address the negativity bias, which is the innate tendency of the brain to focus on negative information far more than positive information.
- Relationships: I actively sought opportunities to express appreciation for my husband every single day.
- Spirituality: I added my values and aspirations to my calendar so I remember what’s most important.
- Sleep: I downloaded a blue light filtering app on my phone.
- Nutrition: I adopted an anti-inflammatory diet and vitamin supplementation.
- Movement: I added Pilates twice a week.
- Environment: I decluttered my office and added a plant to my desk.
It wasn’t easy but the rewards have been worth it! For the first time in a long time I feel…
- loved and connected
- enveloped by the beauty of nature
Also, after nine months of concerted effort, my body mass index and blood sugar levels have returned to normal, I’m calmer and more energized, and my interactions with my husband are kinder and gentler!
Leslie Bosch, PhD
I was so happy with my lifestyle enhancements that I took my efforts to the next level and became an integrative wellness coach. Now, I work with people, like you and me, to improve the quality of their lives.
I am a National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach. I received my training from the Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona. In addition, I earned a PhD in Family Studies and Human Development from the University of Arizona.
Coaching with Leslie is available via Zoom, phone, or in person.
Leslie Bosch, PhD
Let’s get started!